Photo by Jeremy Wong
The Seven Principles of a Successful Marriage by Hilaire Louis Jean shows us what makes marriage work, but there are also little things we must remember to keep it flourishing.
Love is patient; love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others; it is not self-seeking; it is not easily angered; it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.– 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
It is always a beautiful moment when two individuals become one through the act of marriage. Not every couple has what it takes to dive into this path. Yet, while there are plenty of challenges—challenges abound abundantly in marriages, remember that—there are also plenty of rewards.
Marriage is a lot like undertaking a joint project, a sculpture, or a diorama, perhaps, and it demands constant and deliberate effort and commitment from both parties to keep the bond strong and healthy.
With this in mind, a marriage is a lot like growing a plant: it needs to be watered frequently, and there needs to be a concentrated attempt to keep it growing; otherwise, things just wither and die out—and it’d be great if you, at the least, keep that from happening before deciding to go another way.
How to Maintain a Happy Marriage
Here are some habits you can practice and some traits you can foster within the union:
- Communication is vital for any kind of relationship, not just marriage, but within one, it is quite important. Couples should be able to communicate and engage each other in an open and honest manner about almost everything: feelings, needs, and wants. This means listening to each other without judgment and sharing your thoughts and feelings. Good communication is also how respect is properly manifested—this is what makes marriage work.
- Another thing that makes marriage work is finding time for your spouse, which can be challenging in today’s busy world. However, it is essential to make time for each other regularly. This could involve a lot of things, but the important thing is to spend time together and focus on each other.
- It is vital to show appreciation for what our spouses do. This could involve telling them how much you love and appreciate them, doing something nice for them, or simply complimenting them. This is a good way to show you value your spouse and their contributions are essential to you.
- Everyone has goals and ambitions, and supporting your spouse’s goals and objectives is essential. This means encouraging them to pursue their passions and helping them achieve their goals. When you do this, it shows them that you believe in them and want them to succeed.
- Marriage is a lifelong commitment. It takes time and effort to keep a happy marriage strong and healthy. Make your marriage a priority in your life. This means putting your spouse’s needs and wants before your own and being willing to sacrifice for the sake of the relationship.
A House Undivided
The bond of marriage is a beautiful one; it is also a very sacred connection between two people who have found a deep love with each other. It is a journey of companionship, love, and growth. A good marriage is a source of great joy, comfort, and strength.
Here are some wonders of a happy marriage:
- Unconditional love and support: In a good marriage, we know that we are loved and supported unconditionally, no matter what. Our spouse is there for us through thick and thin, through good times and bad.
- Deep intimacy and connection: A good marriage is characterized by a deep level of intimacy and connection. We feel comfortable sharing our deepest thoughts and feelings with our spouses.
- Shared values and goals: When we marry someone, we choose to share our lives with them. This means creating a life that you both love.
- Companionship and friendship: Our spouse is our best friend and our closest companion. We enjoy spending time with them and sharing our lives with them.
- Physical and emotional intimacy: A good marriage also includes physical and emotional intimacy. We enjoy being close to our spouses both physically and emotionally.
Of course, no happy marriage is perfect. There will be times when we disagree with our spouse